Please find some links and notes from the 2 Regular Guys Podcast. This week we were joined by OKI Data this week for an in depth discussion of the world of LED Color Toner Heat Transfers and short run decorating in 2017. We will get updates on the latest and greatest technologies in the space. We will also talk about what companies are working together to bring you a complete decorating system and what is different today compared to years past. These are not the transfers most of us remember from the color copier days and you need to be up to speed on what is going on.
Our regular listeners know this, but 2 Regular Guys are all about garment decorating, a bit of fun, and no rants or lectures or selling. We are not doing this for our employers, but rather for our industry. For the past 4 years, 2 Regular Guys have been the first and the most listened to garment decorating industry podcast on this planet! We are humbled by all of you tuning in each week. We work hard to bring you information that will make your business better, and our industry better. Take a look at our incredible weekly guest list and you’ll understand where this industry goes for news, interviews and the heartbeat of garment decorating. Thanks for listening!!
- Couple things from SGIA to share, that we got from @SGIAKateA on Twitter.
— SGIA Graphics 4em (@SGIA_graphics) March 13, 2017
— Kate Achelpohl (@SGIAKateA) March 14, 2017
How LED Color Toner Transfer Systems Have Reshaped Short Run Decoration – The New World of White Toner, Neon, Sublimation and More with OKI Data
History of OKI Data in this decorating space and what drew you guys to it.
- Early start products
- Their desire to help decorators because you saw they were not getting the best products for economical short-run decorating with earlier toner transfers.
Toners Transfers, or what people may wrongly consider Laser Transfer, I think that they really get a bad name based on what is was back in the 80s and 90’s coming off color laser copiers. Thick, Cracking, Didn’t wash well etc. That is no longer the case. What has changed and how have you guys been involved in that change?
- LED v Laser – Why?
- Single Pass White / Allowing for Better Paper
- Designing Systems/ not just printers for decorators.
Tell us about the strategic partnerships that OKI has in place and what that means for the person using the products.
- Back to OKI’s desire to help decorators. Put in place best practices and systems that all work together to provide the decorator with a system that consistently works.
New products in Long Beach recently at the ISS Show. Tell us about the Neon toners and anything else new people need to know about.
- Details on Neon and the Markets it could serve
- Better long-term solution, not just a replacement or a competitor to current sublimation systems
- Regular Paper. You will not have to have a special sublimation paper.
I understand that these systems are going to be on display at the upcoming ISS Atlantic City event. What all do you have going on there that people should check out?
- There will be a lot going on in Booth 937 and also with our partners.
- Neenah Exo Stencil Product – Green Process
- Forever No Weed University
- Partnership with Great Dane Graphics
It seems as there are some folks out there now trying to copy what you are doing. How does OKI Data look at those imitators?
- Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
- Might look like and OKI, but it is not and won’t be covered by our service.
- Why OKI is the leader in the market
Can you talk to us about the return on investment and what it takes to be profitable in the LED Toner transfer business?
- Neon Example – In for $6-7 / sell for $20 easily!
Where can people find more information about Laser Transfer, the OKI Systems and what is going on at ISS Atlantic City next week?
Matt Davies – OKI Data
Has almost 40 years experience in the printing industry, all the way working in a function of new technology and market development. He has just finished up his 12th year at OKI Data, and he is currently the National Sales Director New Business Development. He has had many roles at Oki Data, but all of them in one way or another has been centered around developing new Markets and opportunities. Prior to Oki Data, Matt served 3 years as Director of Printer operations for Sharp Electronics, reporting to the President and before moving over to Sharp, he was the Vice President of North American Sales for Minolta Print Systems and was with Minolta for over 18 years. He started with them when they were known as QMS Printing Systems. He had several jobs ranging from Senior Director of National Field service to his last position as VP.
- Becoming a Direct-to-Garment Decorator in 2017 – ISS Atlantic City Seminar – March 23rd
- Getting Smart with Some Simple Marketing Strategies – ISS Atlantic City Seminar – March 25th
- Sportswear Garage – How to Start a Home-based Garment Decorating Business – DAX Minneapolis – March 31
- Being in Control of Your Screen Printing Production Schedule – DAX Minneapolis – March 31
- Wide Format Sublimation, Cut and Sew and Other Product Enhancements – DAX Minneapolis – April 1st
- Using Digital Marketing Without Breaking the Bank – DAX Minneapolis – April 1st
- NBM Arlington Mar 16-18
- ISS Atlantic City Mar 23-25
- DAX Minnesota Mar 31-Apr 1
- ISS Nashville May 18 – 20
- NBM Indianapolis – Jun 1 – 3
Screen Printing: A Practical Guide to Starting Your Own T-Shirt Business Just $4.95 as an e-book.
Direct to Garment: A Practical Guide to Starting Your Own T-Shirt Business Just $4.95 as an e-book.
Scheduling and Estimating Production Time for Garment Screen Printing Just $2.99 as an e-book
This show is brought to you for a full hour by: Equipment Zone, with 20 years experience selling garment printing equipment nationwide. Equipment Zone offers the new Epson F2000 SureColor direct-to-garment printer, their own VelociJet-XL DTG printer, and the all new SpeedTreater-TX automatic pretreat machine with a full 16”x24” pretreat area. Equipment Zone also carries a full line of DTG inks and supplies. Go to EquipmentZone.com
This show is for the listeners so please make sure to ask us some questions or give us some topics you would like us to discuss. Also, if you have any event or upcoming items related to our industry that you would like us to bring up on the show, please contact us via our Facebook Page. Also, make sure to interact/follow us on Twitter, Instagram or Google +. You can also find information over at our YouTube Page.